7.08.2009

songs hold memories

It's good to remember.

David chooses to remember in Psalm 77:11 "I will remember the deeds of the Lord, yes, I will remember Your wonders of old."  When he does, he realizes, "Your way O God is holy, what god is great like our God?  You are the God who works wonders; You have made known Your might among the peoples" (vv.13-14).

It's amazing what things trigger memories.  Today, while the boys and I were running errands, the song Letters From Home by John Michael Montgomery played.  I cried.  I fought the tears through the first verse and chorus, but as he kept singing, I kept remembering:  

milestones in our boys lives passing in his absence, sleeping alone for months and months, being nurturer and disciplinarian, writing letters and emails as often as I could, explaining our decision to everyone who asked, answering the constant question of how he was doing, keeping his parents updated the moment I was, and truly the list could go on and on.

As the song faded into another, I found myself in a very similar place that David did: in awe and wonder at the grace, power, and provision of Jesus.  During every moment of every day, Jesus sustained me.  There's no better place to be than in wonder at who God is and what He does, and that's why it's good to remember.

1 comment:

  1. Praising God for sustaining you and giving you peace. I am so glad your husband is home and your family is whole again.

    ReplyDelete