6.28.2008

a lesson in complaining

When you have kids, you understand that some days just have a rough start. Today was one of those days. This morning I started fixing breakfast: French toast! (I fix it almost once a week, because it's Kevin's favorite, even though he's not here) Davis was pretty hungry and asked what was for breakfast, I told him, and he immediately started complaining.

I am thankful that God's grace is at work in my life and I know this because instead of telling Davis that he would eat french toast and like it, it became a teachable moment. A moment to teach him what it means to complain and how it's not polite or nice to others. I explained that sometimes complaining can hurt people's feelings (like if someone has cooked something for you and you say ugly things about it). He definitely understood the whole conversation because after a few minutes he looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry I complained about the french toast."

A few more minutes later, he tooted and said, "That didn't hurt my feelings, that tickled my feelings!"

No comments:

Post a Comment