12.25.2008

Christmas quote

Tonight, after the presents had all been opened and Christmas dinner was gobbled up, we all played some games. My Nana and Papa made the drive from Texas to be with the whole family today and Papa loves games. Nana is aging and prefers to sit on the side and just watch.

After several grueling rounds of Bendomino, Nana gets everyone's attention so that they will get Papa's attention (they are both deaf, a simple "Hey!" just won't do). We do, he attentively turns to her, and signs, "What?" She responded, "Hi....I just wanted you to look at me so I could say hi."

It was beautiful. A smile and hello. Little things that so many of us take for granted. I thought about how much I would love a smile and hello face to face with my dear husband.

To answer your questions: yes, it's hard to be without Kevin for another Christmas, yes, we're ready for this tour to be over, yes, our sons miss their father. However, God has been supremely gracious to us during this time and we are thankful. So please, don't pity us, rather consider the things you have taken for granted: maybe it's a smile and hello, but perhaps it's something much greater like a King in a manger 2,000 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. i absolutely love this story. it's probably one of my favorite things i've heard lately. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very sweet story. Thanks for sharing it. And wow - a King in a manger! Whew! What a story!

    ReplyDelete